I show you all these before and after pictures to show you we are far from perfect my friends. Haha, that’s a joke, you don’t need to be told that. With a little love and thought, a hopeless catch-all space can become CLEAN, BRIGHT, and a source of CHEER with only a little creative thinking!!! Nor does it have to cost anything.:)
Ask yourself a couple of questions:
1. Ideally what do I want this space for?
2. What honestly ends up happening with this space?
3. What can I do without that isn’t working here?
4. What are some practical solutions that almost take zero effort to follow-through with?
5. Set some rules in your head about this space and even label areas where things are to go.
It works and labels work. I am amazed at how little spaces have changed since I’ve organized them and especially when I’ve labeled them! It takes a little upfront thought effort to think through these questions but after you’ve done it and it isn’t working your one step closer to finding something that will work. The next time you will know better how to go about it.
We can check up on this space in a couple of months to see if it is really working.
What I did:
I know it may not look that special of a change but I am happy with it! And this is an important traffic space.
1. I removed all the winter coats because hopefully it will not get cold again and we are officially headed into warm weather. I added some low hanging (for the kids) over the door hooks so it will be easier if someone has a jacket in the future to just hang them up instead of reaching in for a hanger- which doesn’t always happen.
2. Next, each family member has a row of the shoe holder for their shoes. Once a week excess shoes that don’t fit into the cubby will be taken to closets.
3. Third, extra things stuff which we keep in this closet was hung up on hangers like dance bags, umbrellas, and what not so that nothing is on the floor. Their backpacks will go in here on the floor which I am fine with but other than that, this is a clean and easily maintainable space.
Woohoo! On to the next space! I will let you know how it holds up in a couple of months and if I have to tweek it.